Vegan Tahini Salted Caramel Cups
In honour of the UK Bank Holiday, I am sharing with you the greatest thing I have ever made (and that statement may or may not also include my children! 😜). I would love to claim these truly delicious treats as 100% my own creation, but they were inspired by Jessica Mills. I first tried these beauties on finishing my Nutrition in Practice Course at Leiths, and as soon as I put one in my mouth, I knew I was in trouble….in that moment, I knew I was going to be hooked forever. And now if there isn’t a stash of these in my freezer, I become very anxious and it’s all I can concentrate on until I’m fully loaded again!
An indulgence for sure, but at least the whole family can enjoy these as they are refined sugar-free, dairy-free, wheat-free and gluten-free. So go on, treat yourself!
For the Base
· 150g nuts (blanched almonds, brazil nuts and cashews work very well here)
· 120g pitted Medjool dates
· 1.5 tbsp hazelnut butter
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
· ¼ tsp Himalayan Salt
For the Salted Tahini Caramel Middle
· 110g Light Tahini
· 130g Maple Syrup
· 70g Melted Coconut Oil
· ¼ tsp Himalayan Salt
For the Topping
· 40g Raw Cacao Powder (I used “That Protein” Brown Rice & Cacao Protein Powder to up the protein)
· 80g Melted Coconut Oil
· 8 tbsp Maple Syrup
I used individual silicone mini cupcake moulds for mine, but it is quite time consuming to have to do three layers in each one, so I would suggest you use a 20cm square tin and then cut into cubes. Much quicker and less hassle, but just not quite so pretty!
· Add all of the ingredients for the base into a high speed blender and blitz until the consistency is a fine crumb, yet sticks together when you press it between your fingers.
· Put this mixture into the tin and press down firmly to an even thickness.
· Put in the freezer while you make the filling.
· Combine all of the ingredients for the filling and mix well.
· Pour over the base and pop it back into the freezer for 20 minutes.
· Combine all of the ingredients for the topping and mix well.
· Pour over the filling and return to the freezer to set for a couple of hours.
· Best enjoyed straight from the freezer.
Calories — 164
Carbohydrates — 10g
Fat — 13g
Protein — 3g
Fibre — 1g