Taco Tuesday's Trimmings
Rejoice! For it’s Taco Tuesday! Arguably the very greatest of all of the mid-week nights on account of its, well….taco-ness! Great for entertaining or for a fresh summery meal; and when you sun is actually shining like it is today, well the that’s all one could ask for in life isn’t it?! Here is a platter with all of the trimmings, except for the protein. Marinated fish, chicken, prawns and tofu are on a constant rotation in our house, but the fillings stay pretty much consistent. Because, if it ain’t broke and all that, why fix it? Packing in a mighty 6 of your five-a-day with a smoky salsa, some spirulina guacamole and a chipotle red pepper aioli, alongside more rainbow veggies than you can shake a stick at.
I do feel like it is high time I confessed to something that many taco-lovers would pour scorn on me for. Ok, deep breath, here goes – I don’t like coriander. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I bloody it. Phew, I said it. What a relief. So in light of this, I used fresh basil in my salsa and it works a treat. But of course, if you are all about authenticity and don’t think that coriander tastes like eating a bar of soap, then by all means, swap the basil for coriander.
Once you add your preferred protein of choice, the meal becomes wonderfully balanced - with a ton of fibre and blood-sugar stabilizing complex carbs from the wholewheat seeded tortillas. I just love a meal that I can make in advance and keep in the fridge for later when I’m too ‘hangry’ to think straight! Plus it means there is minimal washing up for a dinner party too. When I make this for the kids, I just leave out all the chillis so it is not spicy, and they love being able to assemble their own meal.
For the Salsa
· 200g Cherry Tomatoes
· 75g Sundried Tomatoes
· Handful of fresh Basil (or Coriander if you are that way inclined)
· 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
· 1 tsp Fresh Chilli or dried Chilli Flakes (I like Chipotle chilli to add to the smokey taste)
· ¼ of a raw Red Onion
· Salt & Fresh Pepper to taste
For the Guacamole
· 1 Avocado
· Juice and zest from 1 Lime
· 1 tsp Spirulina
· Himalayan Salt & fresh pepper to taste
· Big handful of fresh herbs (I like to use a Dill & Chive combo)
· 3 Spring onions (chopped)
For Chipotle Red Pepper Aioli
· 2 tbsp Vegenaise (or Mayonaise)
· Zest & Juice from 2 Limes
· 2 large pre-roasted Red Peppers (from a jar)
· 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
· ½ tsp Chipotle Chilli Flakes
· Salt & Pepper to taste
· Simply put all of the salsa ingredients in a high-speed blender and blitz to desired consistency.
· Repeat this step for the guacamole and red pepper aioli too.
· Serve with wholegrain tortillas, sautéed onions, sliced cucumber, gem lettuce leaves and some cooked protein of your choice – enjoy!