I used to hear the word porridge and immediately thought of a bowl of gruel from Oliver Twist…needless to say, I didn’t have it very often! But I decided to experiment with flavours and give the humble old classic a superfood makeover by adding some protein powder, magnesium-rich raw cacao, antioxidant-rich pomegranate and heart-healthy pumpkin seeds. Coming in at 467 calories per serving (this can be reduced by using half water, half milk combo), a massive 26g of protein and 8g of fibre this breakfast is guaranteed to keep you full all the way to lunch.
· 1 Banana
· 100g Jumbo Oats (can be Gluten free)
· 1 tbsp Pumpkin Seeds
· ½ Pomegranate
· 25g Protein powder (my personal fav is “That Protein” Brown rice protein with cacao)
· 1 tbsp Raw Cacao (only add if using protein powder with no cacao)
· 600 ml Almond Milk (or any other nut milk that tickles your fancy)
· 2 tsp Maple Syrup
· Pinch of Himalayan Salt
· Add the oats and milk to a small saucepan.
· Bring to the boil over a medium heat.
· Simmer for about 5–7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
· Add the salt, protein powder, cacao and maple syrup and stir well.
· Spoon porridge into bowls and top with sliced banana, pomegranate seeds and pumpkin seeds.
Calories — 467
Fat — 8g
Carbohydrates — 69g
Protein — 26g
Fibre — 8g