Spicy Crab Linguini
Who would have thought it was possible to have a super fancy dinner on the table in 10 minutes flat? Me, that’s who! And no, it’s not too good to be true, it’s a spicy crab linguine. I used to be somewhat terrified of cooking seafood at home, and just left it up to the professionals, but this is so quick and easy to make that there really is no reason not to enjoy a restaurant quality dish all from the comfort of your own home. I save this recipe for our date-night, adult only meals when the kids have finallllllly gone to bed, and eating it somehow transports us to the Italian seaside, in the sunshine, sipping on a Bellini….
Apart from the actual crab, the ingredients list is really pretty simple – who doesn’t have onions, garlic, chillies, tomatoes, lemon and olive oil all lurking around in their kitchen each day? This spicy crab linguine is full of zesty flavours, and makes a great fresh and light summer meal that is on the table in 10 minutes; all with minimal washing up. Now, where is Roberto with my Bellini already??
The crab meat itself is low in calories and fat, but high in protein. It also contains a multitude of vitamins and minerals and is a very rich source of B12 in particular. However, it’s best to keep your serving size small and infrequent if you are at risk of developing heart disease, as crab can be high in cholesterol and sodium.
One serving of the sauce provides 204 calories, 15g of protein, 4g of fibre and 62% of my daily Vitamin C requirements. I served mine on a bed of Explore Cuisine Chickpea Spaghetti, which also adds a decent amount of fibre and protein to the dish too, making it a fulfilling and nutritious meal all round.
· 150g Crab Meat
· 1 tbsp Good Quality Olive Oil
· 1 Onion (or 2 Shallots)
· 250g Cherry Tomatoes
· 4 Garlic Cloves
· Juice & Zest of 1½ Lemons
· Finely chopped Chilli to taste
· Handful of fresh Dill & Chives
· Splash of dry White Wine
· Salt & Fresh Black Pepper to taste
To serve: 150g Linguine or Spaghetti of your choice
· De-seed and finely chop the chilli.
· Peel and mince the garlic.
· Finely chop the onions and herbs.
· Halve the tomatoes.
· In a large frying pan, heat the oil and cook the onions for a few minutes until they are just starting to brown.
· Add the garlic and chilli and cook for another minute before adding a splash of white wine.
· Add the tomatoes and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes.
· Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and add the linguine.
· Give it a good stir and boil as per the instructions on the packet.
· When the tomatoes have softened, add the crabmeat along with the lemon juice and lemon zest.
· When the pasta has had its cooking time, taste a strand – it should have a very slight bite.
· Drain the pasta and turn off the heat to the saucepan before adding the pasta to the sauce.
· Season with a little salt and lots of fresh black pepper.
· Sprinkle with the fresh herbs and stir everything together really well.
Macros for the sauce (no pasta)
Calories – 204
Protein – 15g
Carbohydrates – 23g
Fat – 9g
Fibre – 4g
Vitamin C – 62%
Vitamin A – 13%
Calcium – 3%
Iron – 5%