Pumpkin Seed & Goji Berry Rice Pudding with Plum Compote
Oh Autumn. As much as I was determined to resist your charms and stay fully ensconced in summer mode, it seems like I may be falling for you after all. When you give me bright blue sunny skies, a balmy temperature and endless conkers to amuse my kids, how could I resist you any longer? So in keeping with my new cosy seasonal vibe (which includes a great new chunky knit from Zara, but I digress), I made another dessert for breakfast. And when it is this good for you, then why the heck not? One serving provides more plant-based protein than having 2 eggs, and it is chock full with healthy, nourishing and wholesome ingredients. It is equally loved by both adults and children alike and the easy compote can be switched up according to whatever fruit looks like it’s about to go off in your fridge. It can also be reheated the next day, so it makes a great quick Monday morning breakfast that will really set you off on the right foot to tackle the week ahead. The creamy rice pudding works perfectly with some crunch from the pumpkin seeds and a little bit of tartness from the plum compote.
The wholegrain rice provides complex carbohydrates for slow release energy and steady blood sugar levels, keeping you full until lunchtime. One portion also provides 14g of plant-based protein and a huge 40% of both my daily fibre and calcium requirements. So it is a great option for any vegans or those that are lactose intolerant that struggle to get enough Calcium in their diets.
Since the wholegrain rice just simmers away on the stove in some coconut milk, it is easy to prepare despite taking 30 minutes to make. I like to use it as a blank canvas to add any number of goodies to increase its nutritional profile, for example, superfood powders or bee pollen. I love to add Baobab powder in particular as it is high in fibre and loaded with vitamins & minerals. Studies have shown that it helps reduce the glycaemic response (the rate at which sugar is released into the blood after digestion), so is a great addition to any carbohydrate based breakfast as it helps to further stabilise blood sugar levels.
For the Rice Pudding
· 1 Cup Wholegrain Jasmine Brown Rice
· ¼ Cup Chia Seeds
· 800 ml Light Coconut Milk
· ¼ Cup Pumpkin Seeds
· ¼ Cup Goji Berries
· 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
· 20g Unsweetened Protein Powder (I used Neat Nutrition)
· Optional – 2 tsp of a sweet superfood powder such as Baobab, Pink Pitaya, Goji Berry, Acai, Maca or Lucuma Powders.
For the Plum Compote
· 4 Plums
· 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
· 1-2 tsp Xylitol (or sugar of choice)
· Rinse the rice thoroughly and put into a saucepan together with the coconut milk.
· Let it simmer away as per the instructions (approximately 30 minutes) on a medium heat.
· Keep checking and add some more coconut milk or water if it gets too dry.
· In the meantime, peel and chop the plums.
· Put them in a small saucepan with a little water on a medium heat.
· Once the plums have softened, mash them and add the chia seeds. Add a little xylitol or sugar if they are too tart.
· When the rice is soft, add the protein powder, vanilla and chia seeds.
· Remove from the heat and stir in the pumpkin seeds, goji berries and superfood powder, if using.
· Add a generous dollop of the plum compote and enjoy!
Calories — 420
Protein — 14g
Fat — 13g
Carbohydrates — 65g
Fibre — 10g (39%)
Vitamin C — 10%
Calcium – 40%
Iron – 12%