Pea, Sweetcorn & Kale Fritters with Jalepeno Sour Cream
Makes 8-10 Fritters
Oh how I love an anytime-of-day meal! Want savoury pancakes for breakfast? Yes please! Crispy fritters with a side salad for lunch? You bet! Or another delicious meat-free option to add to your dinner repertoire? Heck yeah!
These summertime beauties are positively packed with veggies and a ton of flavour. They only take 15 minutes from the moment you open the fridge to moment you take your first bite which is great for a person that gets as ‘hangry’ as quickly I do! They are also a fabulous batch cooking option because they freeze so well. I also have the added bonus that my kids like them too, so they are a real hit with all of the family.
I served them here with some jalapeño sour cream, which had the perfect balance of spicy to cool ‘n creamy. But these wholegrain veggie fritters are also delicious when topped with a poached egg, some smoked salmon or sliced avocado…..or if you’re feeling hungry – all three! You can also switch up the herbs and spices depending on what kind of spicy mood you’re in. I served them here with dill and chives, but they are also tasty with some smoked paprika and chilli flakes, or some coriander and jalapeño slices too.
They are a great healthy meal option as they are super easy to make, deliciously tasty and are high in both protein and fibre, as well as a ton of micronutrients from all of the vegetables.
Each serving (of two fritters) provides 276 calories, 14g of protein, a massive 8g of fibre and 32% of my daily Vitamin C requirements.
For the fritters
· 280g Tinned Sweetcorn – drained
· 120g Frozen Peas
· 40g Cavolo Nero (or Kale)
· 1 Leek
· 2 Eggs
· 100g Wholemeal Self Raising Flour
· 8 Spring Onions
· Handful of chopped Fresh Dill
· Handful of chopped Fresh Chives
· Zest of 1 Lime & juice from ½ Lime
· Salt & Fresh Black Pepper
· 1/4 tsp Chilli Flakes if you like a little spicy kick
· Oil to fry
· Optional but recommended – 45g Grated Cheese (I used Goat Cheese)
For the Jalepeno Sour Cream
· 100g Sour Cream
· Approximately 5 Jalapeño Slices (depending on how spicy you like it!)
For the fritters
· Drain the sweet corn and defrost the peas.
· Thinly chop the spring onions, dill and chives.
· Remove the woody stalks from the cavelo nero.
· Slice the leeks.
· In a frying pan, heat a little oil and fry the leeks on a medium heat until just starting to brown. Set aside.
· Add half of the peas and corn to a high-speed blender, along with the eggs, flour, cavelo nero, herbs and seasoning.
· Blitz on high.
· Pour into a bowl and add the remaining peas and corn, along with the leeks and spring onions so there is still some texture to the fritters.
· Grate in the cheese, if using.
· Heat some oil in a frying pan and shallow fry the fritters in batches for approximately 3 minutes on each side until they are nice and crispy.
· NOTE - To keep them warm while you are cooking in batches, either put them in a warmed oven on low, or else just use a couple of frying pans on the go at the same time.
· Serve with the jalapeño sour cream or an egg, some smoked salmon or sliced avocado.
For the sour cream
· Simply blitz the sour cream and jalapeño in a blender.
Macros per serving of 2 Corn Fritters
Calories – 276
Protein – 14g
Fat – 8g
Carbohydrates – 33g
Fibre – 8g
Vitamin C – 32%
Vitamin A – 18%
Calcium - 14%
Iron – 8%