Mango & Coconut Black Rice Pudding
The photo may not be award winning but Oh Em Gee was this breakfast deeee-licious! How great is it to have dessert for breakfast safe in the knowledge that it’s actually good for you? It is vegan, sugar free and gluten free; and if you are not familiar with Black Rice — then get to it! It is super high in antioxidants (even more than blueberries!) and is known for it’s high nutritional value. Providing wholegrain complex carbs for slow release energy, 9g of plant based protein, 6g fibre and a whooping 102% of my daily Vitamin C requirements. I just put the rice on to simmer away in water and coconut milk, so although it took 40 mins, it was totally hands off as it just did its thang on the stove! I love that the rice pudding only has 2 ingredients, and then you can just serve with toppings of your choice. I used mashed mango, coconut yogurt, bee pollen, toasted pumpkin seeds and flaked almonds and can highly recommend that combination!
· 1 Mango
· 75g Black Wholegrain Venus Rice
· 400 ml Light Coconut Milk
· 1 Tbsp Flaked Almonds
· 1 Tbsp Sunflower Seeds
· 1 tsp Bee Pollen (Optional)
· 2 Tbsp Coconut Yogurt
· Rinse the rice and put into a saucepan together with the coconut milk and some water to cover.
· Let it simmer away for 40 minutes on a medium heat.
· Keep checking and add some more water if it gets too dry.
· In the meantime, peel and chop (or mash) the mango.
· Dry fry the almonds and sunflower seeds by placing them in a clean frying pan (no oil) over a medium heat. Keep tossing them until golden brown — be careful as they can burn quickly and only take a few minutes.
· When the rice is soft, remove from the heat, add a dollop of coconut yogurt, mango, toasted nuts and seeds and sprinkle with bee pollen to serve.
Calories — 436
Fat — 18g
Carbohydrates — 62g
Protein — 9g
Fibre — 6g
Vitamin C — 102%
Vitamin A — 36