Everything-but-the-kitchen-sink Tomato Sauce
Makes 4 Cups
I have a freezer full of this tomato sauce in my house, because I typically end up using it almost every day. It contains tomatoes (duh!), onions, courgettes, spinach and carrots, so is a great way of adding hidden veggies into your (and the kids!) diet. Tomatoes contain an antioxidant called Lycopene, which is what gives them their red colour, but it becomes more readily available to the body when it is cooked. Studies have shown that this might play a role in preventing or even slowing down the growth of some cancers, particularly prostate cancer.
As well as making a delicious and antioxidant-rich pasta sauce, I use in the following recipes — some are already up on this blog and the rest are to come so watch this space! Lasagne, Protein Pizza, Shakshuka, Spagetti Chicken-aise; and Spagetti & Meatballs. It is a basic recipe that can be jazzed up according to your taste-bud mood — like adding chillis to make it spicy or smoked paprika to make it….well, smokey!
· 1 tbsp Rapeseed Oil
· 5 Cloves Garlic
· 1 Large Carrot
· 1 cup Spinach
· A handful of fresh Basil or 1 tbsp dried
· 800g Tinned Tomatoes (= 2 tins)
· 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
· 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
· 1 Large Onion
· 1 Large Courgette
· 2 tbsp Coconut Sugar
· 1 tbsp Oregano
· 1 tbsp Thyme
· Optional — 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika (I love anything smokey so I add it to most dishes but feel free to leave out if you’re going for more of a mediterranean dish)
· Optional — 1/2 a chilli based on your love of spicy food or not!
· Finely dice the onions, and grate the carrots and courgettes.
· Finely chop the spinach and the basil leaves. Mince the garlic.
· Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onions and sweat until slightly browning.
· Add the minced garlic, courgettes and carrots (and chilli if using), stir for 2 minutes and then add the tinned tomatoes, spinach, tomato puree and basil.
· Stir until fully combined and then add the vinegar and sugar and leave to simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
· Add the oregano, thyme and whatever other herbs take your fancy! Salt & pepper to taste.
· Allow to cool and store in the fridge in a glass container.