Blood Orange & Plum Chia Compote
Fed up of giving my kids sugar-laden jam, I made a fruit-packed, soluble fibre-filled, Omega 3-rich version instead. Great on toast, waffles, pancakes and on top of yogurt and granola. An all round nutritionally packed delicious multitasker! To be able to sneak in 3g of fibre, 2g of protein and 43% of my daily Vitamin C requirements in one serving is just the icing on the cake!
Needing only 4 ingredients, it only takes 15 minutes to make in one pan. The other great thing about this recipe, is that you can adapt it to use whatever fruit you fancy or, like me, whatever is going off in the fridge. If a fruit is a bit too squidgy to eat, then I just make a quick compote out of it and then get to enjoy it for another 2 weeks! Apple and rhubarb work very well together, as do any of the berry combinations.
· 4 tbsp Chia Seeds
· 3 tbsp Coconut Palm Sugar
· 1 Plum (chopped)
· Rind and flesh of 3 Blood Oranges
· Place all of the ingredients in a saucepan and just cover with water (how much depends on the size of the pan).
· Simmer on a low heat for 15–20 mins or until all the fruit is very soft. You might need to add a tbsp more water every now and again if it gets too dry.
· Mash to desired consistency.
· Once cooled, store in an airtight glass jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Calories — 61
Carbohydrates — 12g
Fat — 1g
Protein — 2g
Fibre — 3g
Vitamin C — 42%