Buckwheat Zucchini Walnut Bread
Serves 24 - Makes 2 Loaves (one to eat and one to freeze!)
This is THE perfect anytime-of-day-snack. Breakfast? Yes! Mid-morning with a cuppa? Yes! The 3pm slump? Hells to the yeah! One serving provides 254 calories, 4g of protein and 3g of fibre. It is gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free, but the perfect combination of moist and sweet without being too sweet. It can easily be made vegan using an egg replacer, but I’ve not had the chance to experiment with that yet. Banana bread is obviously always a winner, but I love the fact that I can add a ton of courgettes and it tastes just as delicious, and not vegetable-y in the slightest. My kids aren’t massive fans of courgettes normally but they practically gobbled up the whole loaf and begged for more! This recipe either makes 2 loaves (one to enjoy fresh over the weekend and one for the freezer), or you can make one loaf and then use the rest of the batter to make some chocolate zucchini cupcakes — which is what we did, and that recipe will follow in a few days!
· 220g Buckwheat flour
· 210g Gluten Free Baking Flour
· 400g Xylitol
· 3 Eggs
· 3 tsp Vanilla extract
· 1 tsp Cinnamon
· 1 tsp Baking Powder
· 1 tsp Baking Soda
· 110g Chopped Walnuts
· 3 Bananas
· 520g Courgettes (makes approximately 3 Cups of grated courgettes)
· 250ml Organic Rapeseed Oil
· Line two loaf pans with parchment paper.
· Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
· Mash the bananas and grate the courgettes.
· Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon together in a bowl.
· Beat the eggs, oil, vanilla and Xylitol together in a large bowl.
· Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet mixture and beat well.
· Stir in the grated zucchini, mashed banana and walnuts until well combined.
· Pour batter into prepared pans.
· Bake for approximately 50 minutes, or until a sharp knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
· Cool on a rack for 20 minutes.
· If freezing, wait for it to cool completely before popping in the freezer.
Calories — 254
Fat — 15g
Carbohydrates — 62g
Protein — 4g
Fibre — 3g
Vitamin C — 10%